- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 02-21-2017
What to do When Your Dog Keeps Losing His Balance in Diamond Bar
If your dog suddenly loses his sense of balance, contact our emergency pet clinic near Diamond Bar for immediate veterinary assistance. If you've been noticing even minor changes in your dog's gait recently, or if his or her balance just seems "off", don't ignore it. Call on our Diamond Bar veterinarian for expert diagnosis, because even minor changes in dog behavior could signal a serious health condition. Balance problems, in particular, are a major health concern for pets, requiring immediate attention.
Our veterinarian near Diamond Bar can conduct a thorough exam, and order immediate on-site lab testing if necessary, to determine the exact cause of your dog's unsteadiness. When your pet shows signs of being off-balance, having vertigo, being unsteady on their feet or if your dog seems dizzy, contact your veterinarian near Diamond Bar right away and come to our emergency pet clinic near Diamond Bar for urgent pet care.
Causes of a Pet Losing His Balance
Common causes of cats and dogs falling down include:
- Inner ear dysfunction (also called vestibular syndrome)
- Ear Infection (can lead to meningitis)
- Head trauma or injury
- Brain tumors
- Encephalitis (brain inflammation or swelling)
- And more
Dog Loss of Balance: Additional Symptoms
Loss of balance in dogs or cats may be accompanied by:
- Falling over or falling down.
- Appearing "wobbly" on their feet.
- Tilting the head.
- Head shaking and scratching.
- Nausea or vomiting (which can lead to serious dehydration).
- Walking around in circles.
- Moving the eyes from side to side.
- Pain (signs of pain include: enlarged pupils, slow reflexes, avoidance of lying down, panting, and licking of the painful area, nervousness and appetite changes.)
- In cases of ear infection, additional symptoms may include ear redness, swollen ear, discharge, and odor.
Emergency Veterinarian Services in Diamond Bar
Our veterinarian in Diamond Bar has the experience and diagnostic equipment to determine the cause of your dog's loss of balance. Treatment for dog loss of balance varies greatly depending upon the cause and could methods from simple (such as ear drops) to complex (such as surgery).
Our Diamond Bar pet emergency services include:
- Digital imaging on site
- Laboratory for blood testing
- Urine and stool sample collection and tests
- Surgical services for your pet
- Pharmacy for prescription needs
We offer pet emergency care for loss of balance and other urgent pet care situations including trauma, car accident or hit by a car, broken bone, trouble breathing, burns, foreign object ingestion or penetration.
Contact Our Local Diamond Bar Veterinarian for More Information Today!
East Valley Emergency Pet Clinic provides emergency and urgent pet care to the residents of Diamond Bar CA around the clock. Our veterinarian in Diamond Bar also serves West Covina, Chino Hills, Glendora and surrounding California communities. No appointment is needed for an emergency vet visit. If your pet needs critical care from our Diamond Bar veterinarian, we are here for you 24/7. If possible, contact us at 909-861-5737 and let us know you’re on your way.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.